[lubuntu-devel] Zesty live images will no longer have .pyc files stripped by default - flavour developers please take note

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 22:29:18 UTC 2016

I have discussed the following with Julien and we both feel that we are
blocked upstream from being able to actually reliably have disc-sized
images, so there's really no point in trying to quibble about this,
especially given the benefit to speed.

I certainly think in an ideal world given our goals, we would offer
disc-sized images, but without core Ubuntu elements having a similar
philosophy, it's just hard to imagine this will ever really be possible.
It's a miracle we've gone as far as we have had with them. Besides, the
most important thing is efficient use of the system resources.

For those with machines that cannot use DVDs or USBs to boot, it would be
suggested to install using the [alternative installation methods][1], with
the mini.iso being the most reliable option.

That said, any bug reports regarding the size of images will be marked
"Won't Fix."

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods#Alternative_installers

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Iain Lane <laney at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Dear flavour developers,
>
> For a long time, we've been stripping .pyc files from live images in order
> save space. This is a speed-vs-space tradeoff, as non-byte-compiled Python
> code
> on the live CDs will run slower.
>
> Ubiquity (the installer) has code to regenerate these files when you
> install
> the system, so the installed system does not suffer from this tradeoff
> having
> been made.
>
> Towards the end of the 16.10 cycle, we reviewed our position[0] to see if
> it
> still made sense in an era where most of our images are less space
> constrained.
> On an Ubuntu Desktop live CD, the saving is approximately 19 MB.
> Unfortunately
> I don't have good numbers for the speed gain, but it is noticable on slow
> systems. We consider this an acceptable cost for faster app startup, and
> so for
> Zesty we have inverted this default and made .pyc stripping opt-in instead
> of
> opt-out.
>
> This is an announcement to make flavours aware. If you wish to opt back in,
> please reply to this email or raise a merge proposal against
> lp:livecd-rootfs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]