[lubuntu-devel] Fwd: Fwd: Missing Intel graphic drivers on 16.04

Jan Holtman oulik.jan at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:08:51 UTC 2016

Nio suggested to mail you with some interesting test results, testing
Lubuntu 16.04 with an old Intel graphics controller. (945 series)
The testing machine is an older Lenovo T60 laptop,

See attached screenshot (data produced with:System profiler and benchmark)

I did two tests, see below for the "test report"

As we know by now there are three possible solutions to get Lubuntu 16.04
to work with old Intel graphics chips, like *945 series* (Intel Corporation
Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev
03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller , or VGA compatible controller Intel
Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/DSxx/*N4xx*/NSxx Integrated Graphics
Controller), see screenshots in this post, data made with system profiler
and benchmark.

There are three possibilities
1) Nomodeset option. Not very good, graphics don't look good.
2) UXA option. Works, graphics is reasonable, but only one screen
available. the second screen doesn't seem to work on my test machine
3) server-xorg-video-intel option. Graphics is the best, performance on
playing video was the best.. Also only one screen available.

Tests were performed on an older Lenovo T60 laptop. with T2400 processor, 4
Gig ram
Xubuntu 16.04 on the internal hard disk, Lubuntu 16.04 on the external hard
disk

I did two tests, first test I compared the performance with two videos
1280x 720 resolution, one H264 encoded .mp4 and the second a H265 .mp4
encoded video also 1280 x 720
Here are the results.

I did the test with UXA and I uninstalled server-xorg-video-intel
(effectively comparing option 2 against option 3

The cpu load with taskmanager was slightly higher with UXA acceleration on
Gnome Mplayer as well on the H264 as well on the H265 encoded video
However the video rendering is definitely less smooth with UXA acceleration
on the H264 video. Especially with a person walking next to a window the
rendering was more jerky. It was clearly noticeable.
On the H265 video on the H265 video the difference was even more. Quite
jerky with an average CPU load of around 55%, before with the
xserver-xorg-video-intel the CPU load was around 50%
On VLC the difference was even worse the H264 which worked a bit jerky
before was now extremely jerky and the H265 video simply got stuck

*Conclusion: from the test results I must say that that
xserver-xorg-video-intel gives the best results*

Also I compared on the same machine the performance between Xubuntu 16.04
and Lubuntu 16.04 with the* xserver-xorg-video-intel *option (same videos
as mentioned before).

Two videos tested, H264 encoded .mp4 and H265 encoded .mp4, they are 720p
videos 1280 x 720 (encoded with Shotcut)

Lubuntu 16.04 plays both videos fine with the native Gnome Mplayer, both
H264 and H265
On VLC only the H264 video plays but jerky, the H265 video doesn't play
well at all.

On Xubuntu 16.04 the H264 video plays fine with the native Parole player
The H265 video plays very jerky with the native Parole player
On VLC both videos don't play well at all.

*Conclusion: Lubuntu 16.04 with the xserver-xorg-video-intel works better
playing movies than Xubuntu 16.04*

Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,

Jan Holtman

oulik.jan at gmail.com <1%3Aoulik.jan at gmail.com>