[lubuntu-devel] LXQt

Simon Quigley tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com
Tue May 3 11:44:33 UTC 2016

Greetings,

On 05/03/16 03:12, Phill. Whiteside wrote:
> Following on discussions with Julien, Jorn and Alf (agaida). The install
> mehtod proposed by Jorn is adopted. With the clear statement that
> lubuntu-qt for 16.04 does not, in fact, exist and this is merely  a
> mockup of what it should look like once the tasksel stuff is all done.

You cite discussions with several people. Could the conversation be made public? If this was on IRC, why wasn't this done in #lubuntu-devel or #debian-lxqt? If this was over email, why didn't you carbon copy the appropriate mailing lists? So Joern is the only person who contributes to Lubuntu, LXQt, and trying to prepare Lubuntu for LXQt? If we are going to adopt a method in an *open* project, shouldn't *all* parties be involved before making a decision, no matter how right or how wrong? I guess I'm frustrated that I'm only hearing about this when it's implemented, and I'm in both #lubuntu-devel and #debian-lxqt, I check those daily.

> At its heart, it uses the already existing lxqt meta package and then
> adds on 'lubuntu' things. This will be the case when we do have a
> release as the lxqt meta package will not contain things like desktop,
> artwork etc. etc. This will be added by each distro.

This is *exactly* what my metapackage does. In Yakkety, it uses the "lxqt" metapackage. In Xenial, it takes the dependencies right from the "lxqt" metapackage. Why is it so difficult to work together when I've spent a lot of time and effort making that package pristine? Why should we all of a sudden just adopt a package from another PPA when no discussion was had beforehand?

I'm frustrated that this wasn't open for discussion at all. The least you could do is involve relevant parties.

Please let me know I'm wrong, because I really hope I am.

--
Simon Quigley
tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com
tsimonq2 on Freenode