[lubuntu-devel] State of PPC

Herminio Hernandez Jr. herminio.hernandezjr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 18:22:20 UTC 2016

@wxl

It would be sad but I understand if Lubuntu drops PPC. I believe 16.04 is a solid release for PPC.

However I do believe that PPC will not completely die away. Like Fritz said Amiga is producing PPC hardware. Talos is considering producing a modern PPC system. I know these projects are small but they are out there.

I one issue that those of us who have Apple PPC machines need to have is managed expectations. We are using old machines.  Most devs are working on AMD64 or ARM. This is not to say there all is lost. I know that the latest version of mesa 12.0 will have improvements of Radeon cards on PPC. I am running Gentoo on my PowerBook G4 and am tracking the mesa dev branch and can verify that I have working 3D acceleration. It is no means perfect but an improvement to what I had before. We need to be patient and be willing to do some work (i.e. Bug reporting and possible debugging ourselves to help upstream). Most do not have the hardware we have anymore.

Also if Lu and Ubuntu-Mate decide to drop PPC this is not the end of the world. Debian and Gentoo still support PPC. They do not provide the same out of the box experience that Lu does and require work (esp Gentoo ) but they are out there.

Sent from my iPhone