[lubuntu-devel] new trusty and xenial daily iso files are generated and need testing

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:00:24 UTC 2016

Den 2016-07-01 kl. 12:24, skrev Nio Wiklund:
> [bottom posting]
>
> Den 2016-06-26 kl. 12:12, skrev Nio Wiklund:
>> Den 2016-06-26 kl. 10:12, skrev Nio Wiklund:
>>> Hi Lubuntuers,
>>>
>>> The LTS versions are getting prepared for the next point releases,
>>> 14.04.5 and 16.04.1. New trusty and xenial daily iso files are generated
>>> and need testing
>>>
>>> - to be reported here and
>>>
>>> - at the iso tracker  http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com
>>>
>>> -o-
>>>
>>> You find the relevant iso files for Lubuntu desktop 32-bit via
>>>
>>> zsync
>>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/trusty/daily-live/current/trusty-desktop-i386.iso.zsync
>>>

>>> zsync
>>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/xenial/daily-live/current/xenial-desktop-i386.iso.zsync
>>>

>>> and the corresponding files for the other iso files, e.g.
>>>
>>> for Lubuntu 16.04 alternate 64-bit via
>>>
>>> zsync
>>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/xenial/daily/current/xenial-alternate-amd64.iso.zsync
>>>

>>> -o-
>>>
>>> There are bugs, for example the plymouth bug (no splash image no text
>>> during boot). I have not reported them here, but I intend to do it soon,
>>> and I hope and wish that we can squash them before 16.04.1 LTS.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> The desktop 32-bit iso works (with grey bugs), but the alternate 64-bit
>> iso managed to throw two red bugs into my face:
>>
>> 'failure while configuring required package while installing Lubuntu
>> alternate'
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debootstrap/+bug/1596279
>>
>> 'the target drive is not found when connected via USB 3 while installing
>> Lubuntu alternate'
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1596281
>>
>> Please check if you are affected, and in that case, please mark that the
>> bug 'affects me too'.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>
> Hi again Lubuntu users and developers,
>
> The bug, that I think targets debootstrap
>
> 'failure while configuring required package while installing Lubuntu
> alternate'
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debootstrap/+bug/1596279
>
> is very bad. It makes it impossible to use current daily Lubuntu
> alternate iso file
>
> 737M    2016-06-30    15:54    "xenial-alternate-i386.iso"
>
> $ md5sum xenial-alternate-i386.iso
> f0ce67124a8c7d5b432f8e58ed7f5dab  xenial-alternate-i386.iso
>
> I have tested in two computers, a few days ago and again today in
>
> 1. my 'default' testbench, a Toshiba laptop with Intel i5 from 2013
>
> 2. a desktop computer with AMD Athlon from 2008
>
> I don't think the bug is affecting only some particular hardware, I
> think it is a 'software' bug.
>
> This bug needs confirmation:
>
> Please check if it affects you too, and in that case, please mark that
> [...]

Hi again,

I tried to test the corresponding Ubuntu Xenial mini.iso (tried to
update July 1, but still old)

wget
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/installer-i386/20101020ubuntu451/images/netboot/mini.iso

#perms    	size	date      	time 	file-name
-rw-rw-r--	48M	2016-04-20	17:53	"mini.iso"
-rw-rw-r--	43	2016-07-01	15:58	"mini.md5"

$ md5sum mini.iso
574fd244f5069f086065a23f7bdf604f  mini.iso

and that mini.iso file works, is not affected by this bug, but it is
old, and the Lubuntu alternate file of that date was working too.

-o-

I also tested the corresponding Ubuntu Server Xenial iso file (tried to
update, July 1, and the current file is a few days old, the same date as
this bug report was created, so relevant)

zsync
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/xenial/daily/current/xenial-server-i386.iso.zsync

#perms    	size	date      	time 	file-name
-rw-------	665M	2016-06-26	05:56	"xenial-server-i386.iso"

$ md5sum xenial-server-i386.iso
07edb75c929ff966045db0139a01d3e8  xenial-server-i386.iso

and this Ubuntu Server iso file works, is not affected by this bug.

So it seems the bug resides in some Lubuntu package and makes
debootstrap fail. If it were in debootstrap, the debian installer of
this Server iso file would also fail. Maybe debootstrap has changed
upstream, and needs a corresponding change in Lubuntu to work again.

Best regards
Nio