[loco-contacts] ISO generator for LoCo teams - UEFI booting language setting

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 06:44:08 UTC 2015

> I haven't looked in any detail at how changing the default language is done
> for live images, but what I can tell you is that any configuration changes
> that you can make via grub.cfg are allowed under SecureBoot.  So if you can
> figure out what your grub.cfg should look like for this, then it should be
> possible to do.
>
> Anything that refers to gfxboot is not relevant, because we don't use
> (BIOS-only) gfxboot under UEFI.

Right, they are completely separate. Thanks!

I now got all parts working, adding the following to my semiautomated script:

sed -i '6i    loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2' boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i '7i    set locale_dir=$prefix/locale' boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i '8i    set lang=fi_FI' boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i '9i    insmod gettext' boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i 's%splash%splash locale=fi_FI console-setup/layoutcode=fi%'
boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i 's/Try Ubuntu without installing/Kokeile Ubuntua asentamatta/'
boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i 's/Install Ubuntu/Asenna Ubuntu/' boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i 's/OEM install (for manufacturers)/OEM-asennus
(laitevalmistajille)/' boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i 's/Check disc for defects/Tarkista asennusmedian eheys/'
boot/grub/grub.cfg
mkdir -p boot/grub/locale/
mkdir -p boot/grub/fonts/
cp -a /boot/grub/locale/fi.mo boot/grub/locale/
cp -a /boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2 boot/grub/fonts/

So this includes the GRUB UI, the entries in GRUB (since they are
hardcoded) and the language + keyboard settings of the live/install
session. Naturally doing this before the md5sum.txt is recreated.

I think I'll put a 14.04.3a out or something, as UEFI is becoming more
and more popular.

-Timo