[loco-contacts] Our teams reject the new LoCo Council policy

Stephen Michael Kellat skellat at SDF.ORG
Mon Oct 13 14:35:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Ming-ting Wei wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:44:52 +0800
> From: Ming-ting Wei <medicalwei at gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu local community team (LoCo) contacts"
>     <loco-contacts at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [loco-contacts] Our teams reject the new LoCo Council policy

> So do I disagree about the new SubLoCo policy since it defines one
> LoCo per a "country", as it may trigger the PRC and ROC relationship
> problem. Between Republic of China (ROC, Taiwan) and People's Republic
> of China (PRC), the "country" definition is under dispute, and so does
> Hong Kong and PRC as many Hong Kong people don't want to categorize
> themselves as China people.
>
> PRC government wants to claim Taiwan as their part of the territory,
> however, most of (dunno if it is all) the people in ROC wants to claim
> Taiwan as not part of PRC. Debian Installer blurred the problem in
> their country selector for listing China, Taiwan and Hong Kong is to
> change the selector title to "select country/region" [1].
>
> Therefore I think the best way for the LoCo Council is never get into
> the hot dispute.
>
> [1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229325
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Yao Wei

Thank you for writing concerning the issue of the
recognition/non-recognition on the international stage of entities where
LoCo teams exist.  I merely note that beyond the People's Republic of
China/Taiwan issue you raise we also see that both Israel and Palestine
have LoCo teams.  Palestine is not totally recognized on the world stage
as a nation-state but is seemingly well on its way to being so recognized
and Israel is still not recognized by some other countries.

We see this as a matter we need not address at this time.  Thank you for
raising your concern, though.

Stephen Michael Kellat
Member, LoCo Council