DVD's or not? (was Re: Rrrrolling Rrreleases

Jan Bongaerts jbongaerts at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:59:32 UTC 2013

+1 on stickers or USB sticks. We actually are already selling USB cards in
our LoCo

On 3 March 2013 18:42, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stickers are awesome. +1 stickers.  Everybody loves stickers.
>
> Especially because they're much less likely to incur taxes, duties and
> (especially) brokerage fees.
>
> Darcy.
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Alexandru Cucu <cracknel.org at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> An idea would be to have branded discs that we could write ourselves with
>> the latest image. These could also be rewritable so users would be able to
>> update them. Some manufacturers say that DVD-RW discs can be written about
>> 10 000 times.
>>
>> Personally, I think stickers are better for spreading the word about
>> Ubuntu. People almost never ask about discs these days.
>>

>> On 03/01/2013 07:43 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>>
>>> I'm in favour of rolling releases, but because it'll mean a continuously
>>> updated OS, not because it'll eliminate disks.
>>>
>>> Many people are running end-of-life versions of Ubuntu.  They had it
>>> installed years ago, and now their computers need a release upgrade.
>>> That's not a problem for most people on this list, but these are the
>>> same people who had one of us install Ubuntu in the first place. Now
>>> they need to bring in someone to do the upgrade. Rolling releases would
>>> solve that problem.
>>>
>>> The branded disks are useful; they give some assurance that this is a
>>> legitimate operating system, and not some pirated malware I've burned. I
>>> carry a few disks around with me, and give them away at write-ins for
>>> NaNoWriMo, LUG meetings, hackathons, &c. Passing out a burned disk
>>> scrawled with a sharpie won't be accepatable, and those people aren't
>>> going to have a thumbdrive with them that can be erased to make
>>> bootable. For those people it's important that the disks be "live", so
>>> that people can try Ubuntu without commitment.  Of course, if Canonical
>>> were to distribute branded USB keys instead of disks that would be OK
>>> too, but I don't think that removes the environmental concerns.
>>>
>>> I'm also recommending Ubuntu to people who have had problems with older
>>> computers. Their version of Windows 98 has finally packed it in, but
>>> their computers don't boot from USB and have no DVD.  For those a
>>> NetInstall disk would work nicely, so that the latest rolling release is
>>> installed immediately.
>>>
>>> So I hope Canonical changes to rolling releases, and also continues to
>>> distribute disks or USB keys.  But I have no use for "marketing
>>> materials" like pamphlets, flyers and booklets.  Buttons and stickers
>>> would be nice, tho.
>>>
>>> --Bob.

>> --
>> Alexandru Cucu
>>

>> --

Have you tried Ubuntu Linux yet?
Check out http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/why-use-ubuntu and find out why it
is a better option than trying to upgrade your hardware to accomodate a
newer version of your current system.