Sponsored LoCo Teams (was re: Approved LoCo Teams - Discussion)

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 08:09:17 UTC 2013

Hi YoBoy,

But that’s the issue the resources being sponsored are not community
resources they are entirely from the commercial side of Canonical. It
is not the LoCo Council or Community Council handing this stuff out
and there are no other benefits of becoming approved except for
getting those resources from Canonical.

Canonical is a part of the Community but not all of Canonical in the
sense that there are folks at Canonical that just work on Ubuntu
because they get paid... It's just a job to them but then there folks
who live and breath Ubuntu and contribute outside of their job scope
and those are the folks who are Community and have a interest that is
not solely commercial in nature.

In reality the approval process totally surrounds a peer approval
process deciding who has demonstrated enough hard work to get
resources to further promote Ubuntu. This doesn't seem like it needs
to be so complicated that is getting resources to LoCo's who need it
to further promote Ubuntu in their communities.

IMHO contributing at the local community level should be the least
bureaucratic and easiest process in the community.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Bhavani Shankar R <bhavi at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM, YoBoY <yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 09/02/2013 01:20, Grant Bowman a écrit :
>>
>>> +1 for "Sponsored" which seems to have a majority from my unscientific
>>> view reading along.
>>>

>> Really? Another fork of the topic?
>>
>> The "sponsored" term just make me smile, and it's so linked with the
>> commercial part of Canonical. We are not really sponsored, giving us some CD
>> twice a year, it's good, but it's clearly not enough. Where are all the
>> common communication stuff (stickers, badges,…)? Locos are alone for that
>> and have to find real sponsorship elsewhere.
>>
>> So please, don't link us too much with Canonical. We are the Ubuntu
>> Community, not the sponsored Canonical Community.
>>
>> Big hugs,
>>
>> YoBoY
>>

> Hey there,
>
> I was quite surprised seeing this topic being discussed in multiple places :-)
>
> As far as I can say (re-iterating my views on the other list), we
> would rather define sponsored as sponsored from the ubuntu community
> as the whole approval process is taken care by the LoCo Council on
> behalf of the ubuntu community.
>
> So bringing in canonical (although they sponsor some of the resources
> for approved loco teams) would be commercial and bit vague.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Bhavani Shankar
> Ubuntu Developer       |  www.ubuntu.com
> https://launchpad.net/~bhavi

Benjamin Kerensa
http://benjaminkerensa.com
"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu