Coming up with another term for Approved LoCo Teams - Discussion

Randall Ross randall at executiv.es
Sat Feb 9 16:48:36 UTC 2013

On 13-02-09 08:29 AM, Bhavani Shankar R wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM, Neil Oosthuizen <nlsthzn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the sense that the current approved loco's would be known as "recognized"
>> loco's... as in "recognized" by Canonical (or the Ubuntu Community) for
>> sustained contributions as a loco. But like I said, not to fragment the
>> discussion anymore, just something that occurred to me.
>>
> Thanks Niel for your response. Its perfectly fine I think as the
> community and the LoCo council would welcome inputs from all.
>
> So, Dont you think it would be a bit hard if we say that a loco team
> is unrecognised when a loco team has just started to contribute,
> organising events and spreading ubuntu with a goal of getting approved
> eventually find the word a bit demotivating?
>
> Regards,

The word "recognized" can also be an emotionally charged word to some.
It is similar (though softer) in tone to "approved."

Though "sponsored" has a current majority, perhaps we can reach
consensus with a bit more information:

What problem are we (or were we) trying to solve by labeling teams in
the first place? Can anyone provide a crisp problem statement? And, as a
thought experiment, what would the LoCo landscape look like if labels
were dropped altogether? Would it catalyze the creation of more teams?
More active teams?

Cheers,
Randall