Ubuntu Moscow LoCo

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 21:03:07 UTC 2013

On 3 April 2013 05:05, Randall Ross <randall at executiv.es> wrote:

> On 13-04-02 11:50 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Dmitry Agafonov
> > <agafonovdmitry at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm not giving my pros or contras in this particular question, but
> please
> >> note, that Moscow and St.Petersburg are separate administrative areas
> of the
> >> Russian Federation (somewhat similar to states in USA or, better, to
> DC) and
> >> not ordinary cities. So, I'm seeing
> >> http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-districtofcolumbia/ ...
> > Yeah, US-based teams have permission from the LoCo Council to split
> > into site-based teams (and Washington D.C. is a separate non-state
> > district too). I'd suggest working with the LoCo Council for review of
> > Russia if there is also need to split those into states/administrative
> > areas :)
> >
> So, are Chicago and Dallas (which are also in the US, and city-based)
> operating without "permission"? And what about the other teams not in
> the US that are city-based?
>
> Perhaps they are serving their localities in ways that only local teams
> can do? I can't and won't speak for them, but I'm guessing they are
> doing something great in their areas and should be expressly and
> enthusiastically encouraged, especially by those in leadership positions.
>
> Let's not make excuses that talk people out of starting groups in their
> cities, or to seek permission. And, let's not pretend this is a
> technical issue we can fix with a code patch.
>
> Cheers,
> Randall.

As a part of a large geographical area (Australia), I'd firmly support the
idea of local groups forming to serve their areas and have encouraged users
in my LoCo to do this regularly. However I do not understand why they can't
be formed under the banner of the country LoCo.

If you feel your country has a case for separation into states like the US
did then the council have always been willing to discuss the idea in my
experience, which from what I'm reading sounds like their current stance.
The council even approached us about the idea for our country at one point.
The problem we had was inclusion, we had several states with enough people
to make it work but outside those 2 - 3 the rest would have essentially
dissolved, creating a vacuum for anyone coming along later, this seemed
counter productive.

So a case example would be while I organise events in my hometown
(Brisbane), they are still done as a Ubuntu-AU LoCo event and we still use
the Ubuntu-AU resources to achieve the goals.

--
Regards,

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris