Ubuntu Moscow LoCo

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 2 19:16:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Randall Ross <randall at executiv.es> wrote:
> On 13-04-02 11:50 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Dmitry Agafonov
>> <agafonovdmitry at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not giving my pros or contras in this particular question, but please
>>> note, that Moscow and St.Petersburg are separate administrative areas of the
>>> Russian Federation (somewhat similar to states in USA or, better, to DC) and
>>> not ordinary cities. So, I'm seeing
>>> http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-districtofcolumbia/ ...
>> Yeah, US-based teams have permission from the LoCo Council to split
>> into site-based teams (and Washington D.C. is a separate non-state
>> district too). I'd suggest working with the LoCo Council for review of
>> Russia if there is also need to split those into states/administrative
>> areas :)
>>

> So, are Chicago and Dallas (which are also in the US, and city-based)
> operating without "permission"?

These are very old teams which were created prior to solidifying the
requirements for LoCos (they even predate the LoCo Council) so they
were grandfathered in. In the US everything is state-based now so no
new city-based teams have been created since that was instituted.

> Let's not make excuses that talk people out of starting groups in their
> cities, or to seek permission. And, let's not pretend this is a
> technical issue we can fix with a code patch.

I'm not making excuses or pretending anything. I really don't believe
this to be a technical problem. I thought I was being quite clear
(today and at various sessions at UDS throughout the years on this
topic) in the social reasons why we've preferred not to encourage city
teams.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com