[RFC] LEP#1, Standardize the LoCo Team Display Names

Fabián Rodríguez magicfab at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 30 14:31:07 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 05:25 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
[..]
>  * "Ubuntu COUNTRY_NAME Local Community". e.g. "Ubuntu United Kingdom
> Local Community"
>  * "Ubuntu REGION_NAME, COUNTRY_NAME Local Community". e.g. "Ubuntu
> Hampshire, United Kingdom Local Community"
>
> In addition the "team name" field should be standardized to:-
>
> "ubuntu-CC" (where CC is the agreed de-factor ISO country code of your
> country). e.g. ubuntu-uk
> "ubuntu-CC-Region" e.g. ubuntu-uk-hampshire

For Ubuntu Quebec (which is a province in Canada), this would mean:
- - Ubuntu Canada Quebec Local Community
- - Ubuntu Quebec, Canada Local Community

- - ubuntu-CA
- - ubuntu-CA-QC

There's already an Ubuntu CA which is typically people active in
Vancouver / elsewhere in Canada, and these new conventions would bring
more confusion than anything.

Our current naming/branding covers well our audiences with several
members of both teams being present in both, without repeating efforts,
as most (if not *all*) activity remains local to individual's geography.

Dropping the "Local Community Team" and other suffix variations of it
would also help in branding, as it's easier not to translate such
phrases - perhaps just keepin "Team" is more meaningful at this point.

Don't get me started on the politics around it. Although there's every
intention to keep this out of politics (or vice-versa), the truth is
language, culture, geography and context will always need to be
considered in choosing a name.

Discoverability, as other posts in this thread mention, seems more
important (to me) than standardization - specially for existing teams.
Regarding this, perhaps cities/regions with the most events could be
linked-to directly from the loco.ubuntu.com site or displayed
graphically somehow - for example in Quebec there are Ubuntu Hours in
Chicoutimi, which most people would assume is too far for anything to
happen. This would not be part of the display names but could complement
it in the loco dir entries.

Cheers,

Fabian

- --
Fabián Rodríguez
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MagicFab
~
Local Community ("LoCo") team contact pour Ubuntu Québec
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuebecTeam