[RFC] LEP#1, Standardize the LoCo Team Display Names

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 07:11:45 UTC 2011

On 30 June 2011 16:53, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:26 PM, YoBoY <yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A last thing, this naming convention is not a locoteam problem for me,
> it's
> > a loco directory problem. Stop trying to make the loco directory a
> front-end
> > of launchpad if you want to resolve this and let teams choose a "main
> > country" and an optional "region/city" to create a good automatic team
> list
> > in this tool. You already let us choose countries and language, it's just
> > two more fields. And this way the Team list can also be translatable.
>
> I think this is a very good proposal, it would also pave the way for
> making the maps Alan Bell proposed earlier in the thread.
>
> --
> Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
> http://www.princessleia.com

+1 This is sounding promising.

The loco.u.c site already has "State/Province/Region", "City" and
"Languages" fields to be completed. If you added in a "Country" you could
then basically use these fields as the source for your list instead of the
launchpad team name. By doing this you could also include in the country
field an option for non country specific, language based teams which would
then allow you to cover all aspects and be able to organise the list however
you desired.

This approach would also probably work better to integrate to the map idea,
however having no idea how any of this works I'm willing to be corrected. I
think the list will always need to be there for administrative purposes but
if it were only a backend to an integrated map I think the new, visiting
user experience would be improved.

That's not to say for new teams (or teams with minor changes) it wouldn't be
good to try and standardise it as much as possible so it could automatically
populate these fields but would also allow for more intricate, established
teams to continue to function without the added cost of wholesale change.

Regards
Jared Norris
Ubuntu-AU Team Contact
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris