[RFC] LEP#1, Standardize the LoCo Team Display Names

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 29 22:07:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Alan Bell
<alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:
> interesting example to pick.
> The ISO country code for the United Kingdom is GB. We have an exceptional
> reservation on "UK" which means no new country can claim it, but the code is
> GB. On Freenode #ubuntu-gb redirects to #ubuntu-uk as I think xchat
> automatically joins #ubuntu-$countrycode
>
> I am really not at all keen on the idea of rebranding Ubuntu-UK to Ubuntu-GB
> to tidy up one page on the web.

Neither am I, that's why I'm not suggesting changing it. Notice the
mail shows that as OK. I think the UK Is a fine exception, and I don't
think anyone cares so long as it's consistent and sane

> http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams isn't ideal for a number of reasons. My
> expectation on clicking the map on the front page of loco.ubuntu.com is that
> when I click europe it should take me to a larger map of Europe, then I
> click my country and it takes me there. I never want to see the huge list of
> other teams in places I don't live.
> Failing that, as I know creating such a clickable map would be a bit of work
> (not *that* much work, would keep someone amused for a few hours but we
> could do it) create loco.ubuntu.com/europe which just shows me teams in my
> continent, it would load faster than the global list. With the current state
> clicking the map does not add a lot of value as it still loads all of the
> same page, just scrolls to roughly the right bit of the page.
>
> Alan.

All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq