Will you be adversely affected if Launchpad stops mailing on 'open' team membership changes?

Chuck Frain chuckfrain at pobox.com
Mon Jul 25 12:33:32 UTC 2011

In my time as leader of a loco team I found the emails useful so that I
could track the churn of the group. I could see how many people were
joining and leaving, particularly surrounding events we were holding.

If you want to make a change to this, I strongly suggest that you make
it a checkbox option for the configuration of the group.

As others have already replied, the mails are low volume for the most
part and in my case easily filterable by my email client.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Robert Collins wrote:

> I'm writing to this list because the Ubuntu loco system is the single
> largest collection of open teams in Launchpad, and there is a
> notification change I'm proposing which will affect you.
>
> I hope it will only affect you in a positive way, but if would have
> adverse impact I want to know now :)
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/815623 covers this change.
>
> In short, for OPEN (and only OPEN) teams, I want to stop LP sending
> 'user $USER has been added to team $TEAM by $USER' and '$USER has been
> deactiveated from team $TEAM by $USER' emails.
>
> The reason being that they aren't actionable or useful AFAWCT : unlike
> delegated, moderated or restricted teams where another admin may have
> made a mistake, or someones credentials being stolen and used to add
> someone to the team matter, and may need correcting, in open teams it
> is open season.
>
> I hope that these mails universally annoy you and you will cheer at my
> proposal to remove them :)
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback, and if I don't hear back in a
> couple of days I will land this change anyhow.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

Chuck Frain
GPG Key: B2420431