One doubt about a place for an install party

Vu Do Quynh vu.do.quynh at auf.org
Fri Jan 28 02:43:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

Le 28/01/2011 06:39, Jan Claeys a écrit :

> The other problem Fabián refers to is that in most cases the restore
> tool partitions + Windows partitions (2 of each) are all primary
> partitions, so there is no simple way to add extra partitions on the
> disk (you can't add extra partitions after resizing the existing ones).

This is effectively a problem that I met when installing Ubuntu on an
Asus EeePC 1001HA. All 4 primary partitions were used by the
pre-installed Windows 7 Starter : one drive C:, one drive D: ; one
partition holding system tools and one hidden partition that contained
the image for restoring the system.

Fortunately, the numbering of the primary partitions and of their
content was such that I could get rid of one to install an extended
partition in its place. For doing that I used a live CD and partimage to
backup the hidden partition, then erasing it with Gparted before
creating an extended partition after resizing the D: drive partition (or
deleting it, I don't remember exactly).

Now I have a dual boot system on that netbook but it's not as easy as it
was before and necessitates a lot more of handling that new (Linux)
users, unless already very comfortable with partitioning schemes under
Windows, would barely be able to do.

My wife recently purchased an HP netbook in the USA and when she came
back to Vietnam, I observed the same problem of 4 primary partitions
being already used. So I postponed the installation of Ubuntu of her
netbook as, anyway, she is using at home an Ubuntu desktop, and until I
have some free time to bend over it.

In such cases, at install parties, depending on the existing
partitioning schemes, using the Wubi installer might be the best
solution for Windows users willing to get a quick taste of Ubuntu.

Regards

--
M. VU DO Quynh
AUF (Tổ chức hợp tác ĐH Pháp ngữ)