Changes to Launchpad team membership

Matthew Revell matthew.revell at canonical.com
Thu Jan 20 22:03:16 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I work on the Launchpad team at Canonical. Before I say anything else,
I'm sorry for the way that we've handled the recent changes to team
membership policies. We should have spoken to the teams who would be
affected before we made the change.

We're working on a fix, which we hope to release next week.

To summarise the change: if a team has a restricted membership policy
all of its sub-teams now inherit that same policy. We did this because
members of an open team could upload packages to the restricted parent
team's PPA. Clearly this is a security problem.

The effect on loco teams is that they inherit the restricted
membership policy of locoteams-approved.

The fix we're proposing is to introduce a new membership policy: a
restricted parent team can have open sub-teams. However, teams with
this membership policy will not be allowed PPAs.

So, please bear with us for a few days while we work on this fix. I've
seen some people mention that they may consider withdrawing their loco
team from the locoteams-approved team. Please don't do that, we'll
have it back to normal in a few days.

Thanks.

--
Matthew Revell -- https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell
Launchpad.net -- cross-project collaboration and hosting