UDS-N :: LoCo Team Testing

Charles Profitt cprofitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 28 01:10:49 GMT 2010

Hello all:

I am sure you have all seen the amazing application that Team Nicaragua
did... but have you seen the amazing job the Italian team has done with
testing? [1]

Testing is a critical component of the Ubuntu community release cycle
and one that could benefit greatly from increased involvement. This
process is also a great way for Loco teams to get their members more
involved in the Ubuntu community.

Paolo Sammicheli published the statistics for the Italian team [2] and
the results are astounding. 46.4% of the people had not contributed to
Ubuntu in anyway before the Italian team started their testing team. The
Italian team had 13 approved members after the Lucid cycle and seven of
those had never contributed before. The growth continued in the Maverick
cycle with an additional four members being approved.

I wanted to get a better idea of how this would fit for teams in large
countries and I was happy to see that it fits well with large dispersed
teams.

"The activity itself it's an online activity. During the Italian
Meeting, which are held two times each year, we spoke about testing but
it wasn't a specific meeting for testing. And also, not all people
involved with testing participated to the meeting. As you can see in the
survey [2] we're spread all around the country." ~ Paolo Sammicheli

So if you have a large country or a team that is spread out
geographically this activity is an extremely good one to build a team
around.

I am currently in the planning phase of putting together a testing team
for the New York State Loco and wanted to encourage all other Loco teams
to join me as well. If you are interested please send me an email and we
can coordinate our efforts and work together with the QA team and the
Italian team to get our teams up and running.

Great job Italian Team!!

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/LoCoTeam
[2] http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/PaoloSammicheli/LoCoTesting