No subject

Thu May 20 18:13:08 BST 2010

Jun 08 17:10:13 &lt;leftyfb&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Ubuntu LoCo&#39;s prim=
ary goal is to promote<br>
ubuntu .... think of it as Canonical&#39;s free, community-based<br>
advertising<br>
Jun 08 17:10:21 &lt;leftyfb&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 it&#39;s not a FLOSS g=
roup<br>
Jun 08 17:10:26 &lt;leftyfb&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 it&#39;s an ubuntu gro=
up<br>
Jun 08 17:11:31 &lt;leftyfb&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 that&#39;s like tellin=
g a chevy corvette club<br>
they really should go around advocating and promoting honda and<br>
mercedes because otherwise they are doing a disservice to the rest of<br>
the automobile community<br>
Jun 08 17:12:21 &lt;leftyfb&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 if you want a librepla=
net/FLOSS group, make<br>
a libreplanet/FLOSS group and stop trying to convert another group<br>
"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px=
; border-collapse: collapse; ">17:12=C2=A0Shishire:=C2=A0leftyfb, he just d=
id?</span></div>

;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com">danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.=
com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
 with your loco teams.<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2010/06/why-ubuntu-locos-sho=
uld-move-to.html" target=3D"_blank">http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2010/06/=
why-ubuntu-locos-should-move-to.html</a><br>
&gt; In the debate over whether it is worth supporting projects like Ubuntu=
 which<br>
&gt; are not purely free software, my=C2=A0opinion thus far remains that Ub=
untu does<br>
&gt; help further the free software movement. Arguments against this are we=
lcome,<br>
&gt; but that is a discussion for a future post. The reason that Ubuntu&#39=
;s local<br>
&gt; community teams should move to LibrePlanet is because having one of th=
e<br>
&gt; worlds strongest FLOSS advocacy networks centered around one piece of<=
br>
&gt; software and sponsored by one company is a disservice to the greater f=
ree<br>
&gt; software community.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have been heavily involved in Ubuntu advocacy for years, but for a w=
hile<br>
&gt; now,=C2=A0i&#39;ve been considering the prospect of local teams operat=
ing independent<br>
&gt; of=C2=A0Canonical. This would=C2=A0not=C2=A0be a move to abandon Ubunt=
u, but simply to open<br>
&gt; up more possibilities and reach our full potential. Most people in LoC=
os are<br>
&gt; not loyal to Ubuntu, but to free software (aka open source). We are un=
ited<br>
&gt; by a set of ideals and work together to promote software which helps f=
urther<br>
&gt; these ideals. Why then, must all of our advocacy revolve around one<br=

&gt; GNU+Linux distribution? There are two main reasons for why it currentl=
y<br>
&gt; does.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Firstly, because Ubuntu is seen by most people as the best way to intr=
oduce<br>
&gt; new people to a (mostly) free desktop environment. It is certainly muc=
h<br>
&gt; easier to simply promote one operating system than a family of them. S=
till,<br>
&gt; this is no reason to limit ourselves. A team not entirely exclusive to=
&gt; Ubuntu can just as easily choose to promote Ubuntu exclusively for eve=
nts<br>
&gt; aimed at the general public.=C2=A0Ubuntu may be the best now, but if s=
omething<br>
&gt; better came along or if Ubuntu went downhill, we should be able and re=
ady to<br>
&gt; adapt. Being an Ubuntu LoCo does not provide this flexibility.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Secondly, because the infrastructure is there. Canonical provides a wi=
ki and<br>
&gt; mailing lists to their teams and in exchange, the teams work for them,=
&gt; albeit loosely, as part of the Ubuntu LoCo project, under its name and=
&gt; banner. Canonical also provides printed install discs to officially ap=
proved<br>
&gt; teams, but there is no reason why Canonical should not provide sponsor=
ship<br>
&gt; to any team of people who will be promoting Ubuntu. It&#39;s mutually<=
br>
&gt; beneficial. In the meantime, to continue receiving materials only prov=
ided<br>
&gt; to officially approved teams, LoCo&#39;s can continue to operate along=
side<br>
&gt; LibrePlanet groups.=C2=A0This isn&#39;t all to say that Canincal has b=
een working to<br>
&gt; actively lock teams in, but this is the effect it now has. Creating th=
e LoCo<br>
&gt; project, providing the structure needed to establish global network of=
 local<br>
&gt; advocacy teams, was a great service, but the time has come to grow bey=
ond<br>
&gt; its current scope.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; LibrePlanet is inspired by Ubuntu&#39;s LoCo Project, but it&#39;s ins=
tead organized<br>
&gt; around ideals, not any particular piece of software. Surely there are =
some<br>
&gt; who only care about what tools work best, but let&#39;s not forget the=
 ideals<br>
&gt; which made these better tools possible. Most of us imagine a world whe=
re<br>
&gt; these ideals are universal and see an incredible amount of potential i=
n<br>
&gt; that. LibrePlanet isn&#39;t yet another social group for GNU+Linux use=
rs, but a<br>
&gt; team of activists. These groups are more open to users of any free sof=
tware<br>
&gt; who may be interested in advocacy. Sponsorship could come from Canonic=
al,<br>
&gt; Mozilla, or whoever. Isn&#39;t this much more in line with the nature =
of FLOSS?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Being a LoCo does in many ways lock you in to promoting Ubuntu. You ma=
y<br>
&gt; promote other software and welcome users of other distros, but by thei=
r very<br>
&gt; title, LoCo teams exist for Ubuntu. The very reason i began taking thi=
s idea<br>
&gt; seriously is because some non-Ubuntu users wanted to get involved with=
 an<br>
&gt; event organized by my local community team, but did not want to work u=
nder<br>
&gt; an Ubuntu banner (literally). I don&#39;t blame them. I went on to dis=
cover many<br>
&gt; people who lurk on our mailing list and even IRC channel simply hadn&#=
39;t<br>
&gt; gotten involved because they were put off by the exclusive nature of t=
he<br>
&gt; group even though they do happen to use Ubuntu themselves.=C2=A0There =
is an<br>
&gt; incredible network of people out there who want to help, and we should=
n&#39;t<br>
&gt; box them out.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Many people have some badly tainted perceptions of the FSF, but being =
a<br>
&gt; LibrePlanet team does not require strict adherence to FSF rules.=C2=A0=
Teams could<br>
&gt; work on would be creating a voice for free software that doesn&#39;t h=
ave the<br>
&gt; (in my opinion mostly wrong) reputation of the FSF to be too extreme, =
and<br>
&gt; this is coming from someone who often doesn&#39;t agree with their app=
roach. To<br>
&gt; provide an example and get the ball rolling, i&#39;d like to announce<=
br>
&gt; the=C2=A0LibrePlanet Massachusetts Team.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Mailing<br>
&gt; list:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://lists.libreplanet.org/mailman/listinfo/li=
breplanet-us-ma" target=3D"_blank">http://lists.libreplanet.org/mailman/lis=
tinfo/libreplanet-us-ma</a><br>
&gt; IRC: #libreplanet-us-ma on FreeNode<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; The LibrePlanet Massachusetts Team is a group of volunteers and ac=
tivists<br>
&gt;&gt; organized around furthering the ideals of free software and relate=
d issues<br>
&gt;&gt; concerning=C2=A0digital rights=C2=A0and=C2=A0free culture.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; This group is working towards a free society through free software=
, but<br>
&gt;&gt; we=C2=A0are not=C2=A0a local Free Software Foundation team. We sha=
re the same end<br>
&gt;&gt; goals as the FSF, but some of us may find it necessary and more ef=
fective to<br>
&gt;&gt; make some temporary compromises with proprietary software in order=
 to better<br>
&gt;&gt; spread free software. Some of us may not necessarily say GNU+Linux=
 or always<br>
&gt;&gt; say &quot;free software&quot; instead of &quot;open source&quot;, =
and some of us may use<br>
&gt;&gt; pragmatic benefits to=C2=A0advocate free software=C2=A0with the un=
derstanding that<br>
&gt;&gt; freedom is the underlying concern and principle which makes it all=
 possible.<br>
&gt;&gt; We are open to people of all levels of interest in free software a=
nd welcome<br>
&gt;&gt; new participants. We are all united in the fight for software free=
dom as an<br>
&gt;&gt; important and necessary means for the prospect of a free society.<=
br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; You can start your own LibrePlanet chapter<br>
&gt; here:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Form:Group" target=3D=
"_blank">http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Form:Group</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>