Announcing the Ubuntu.com Website Localization Project

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Fri Mar 19 15:35:46 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Jamal <jfanaian at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:
>
>> Regarding client side `HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE`:
>> try this in your browser:
>> ---
>> javascript:alert(navigator.language);
>> ---
>> worked for chromium and ff.
>>

> I mentioned before that you can get the user's language using Javascript.
> The problem is that if they change their preferred language, or specify a
> language other than the one the browser has by default, it will not report
> it. Try to change your preferred language and see if it works.

Hi, I did a quick test and talked to a Canonical sysadmin and am going to
propose the following:

Create static files like this:

l10n.js.en  l10n.js.de   l10n.js.fr

Then each file will be responsible only for serving it's own link. It won't
have to do any decision making to figure out the language or what to show.

Apache's content negotiation will handle serving the correct file to users
based on their language preferences. No dynamic content is needed. I did a
quick test at http://people.canonical.com/~mnuzum/tmp/cn/file.js (there are
three files, en, de and fr and they appear to be working correctly).

The project will be managed using bzr and the typical localization tools in
launchpad.

Can anyone see a down-side to this or foresee any problems? What are your
thoughts?

--
Matthew Nuzum