Chile (and Haiti) - CrisisCamp

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 5 22:15:34 GMT 2010

Hi,

We can do more than simply think about, pray for and throw money at.  The
past several weeks I've been one of hundreds of volunteers participating in
CrisisCamp Haiti.  This past weekend, the DC group (and several others)
morphed into CrisisCamp Haiti/Chile.

The CrisisCamps evolved from BarCamps ("unconferences") for the purpose of
putting techies to work, primarily on FOSS projects to help people on the
ground during crises.  In particular, the work done at the camps on the
Open Street Map project has been getting a lot of kudos from search and
rescue teams on the ground in Haiti.

So, see if there's a CrisisCamp near you, and either join or start one.

Details at:

* http://crisiscommons.org/
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/
* http://www.sahana.lk/
* http://wehaveweneed.org/

      [This message is digitally signed with the GNU Privacy
      Guard (GPG). See http://www.gnupg.org/ for more info.]

 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7   (GPG/PGP)
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/

           ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer