Using the tag #locoteams when using twitter/identi.ca

Fabian Rodriguez magicfab at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 23 14:04:44 BST 2010

On 06/23/2010 06:41 AM, Jan Husar wrote:
> Okay,
>
> lets do this again, I would suggest the following,
>

> we, LOCO guys shouldn't be imposing any specific network, service or
> application
> for sharing our marketing.

That's right. But we can set examples.

> Obviously the major hit in micro-blogging is twitter, that doesn't mean
> we must or not at all
> use it. I suppose that reaching out to every audience possible would the
> best approach,
> in that sense we should use as many services and application where there
> is enough interesting audience,

Very much so! Except Twitter isn't guaranteed to survive its own
success. Distributed microblogging is a whole different story.

I see Twitter as an end-point (see below).

> if these services are inter-connected, or working in open-API mode, like
> the one suggested earlier
> identi.ca <http://identi.ca> publishing on twitter, yeah it works.
>
> I'm personally doing my feed like this, bit.ly <http://bit.ly> ->
> twitter -> facebook -> linkedin -> plaxo

I guess this is getting technical but I use hellotxt.com when I want to
post to different networks, or an email alias to direct email gateways
of each service when it's important. Yes, to this day email remains the
most effective way to post to most services with open APIs! When you put
Twitter and Facebook in your chain your taking some risks that the
content won't make it.

BTW I use Facebook *extensively* for advocacy and it's a wonderful tool.
I just don't use that exclusively.

Now, regarding the actual audience, it won't be enough to start using
such tags/tools. We need to actively **advertise** such new additional
channels of information in our IRC, web, mailing list and other spaces.

Try this little exercise. Look up "Ubuntu COUNTRY" (your country/team)
in your preferred search engine. You team pages, including Launchpad,
Facebook, Identi.ca, IRC should be somewhere there. That's much lower
hanging fruit than trying to reach more people via Twitter or Identi.ca ;)

This also reminder my Ubuntu Quebec signature needs some love.

Cheers,

--
Fabián Rodríguez, Ubuntu Quebec
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuebecTeam