Approval Workflow

Indigo196 indigo196 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 23:49:52 BST 2010

There were some great thoughts in this thread...

I think the LoCo council is doing a good job at ensuring activity and
and engagement amongst Local Community Teams. I also think a little more
clarity could be introduced to one part of the application. I know for
New York State's original approval some 'standards' were loosely defined
and caused some hard feelings amongst some members.

The specific area is activity level.

1.  Activity:

The wiki states:
"What have you done so far? Have you done any advocacy, translations,
exhibitions, support or other activities? We recommend you have done at
least three activities before you apply for approval."

A recent post on the list stated:
"The team should have demonstrated a significant and sustained
contribution to the Ubuntu community, from participating in a
ubuntu-related project, documentation, localization, development (bug
reports and packaging, marketing, participating in FOSS events, release
parties."

When New York Stated applied for Approval in early 2009 we had more than
three events under our belt, but were told that the LoCo Council wanted
to ensure that they saw sustained activity.

I think the wiki is too specific and the information posted on the
mailing list far superior, but perhaps an improvement would be to say
that a team should show a consistent level of activity over the course
of six months with at least three of the following events:

- Launch Party
- FOSS convention booth
- Technology convention booth
- Community advocacy events
- Install Fest
- etc

-----
These thoughts are just my .02, but I feel most of the process is clear.
This one part is also, IMHO, the most critical in the evaluation and
re-evaluation process.

Charles
New York State Local Community