Need help getting an Ubuntu Stack Exchange created through promotion

Be Netritious netritious at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 02:04:53 BST 2010

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu (little over a year) but I am surprised by
the reaction to this idea.

Until yesterday when the initial email came in I had not heard of
stack overflow, but it's an interesting web site that seems to cater
to all things technical and geared towards programmers. As a
programmer myself I welcome more resources, even ones that might
challenge or compete with Ubuntu resources. Competition brings to
light what is good, but more importantly what is better.

If I could sum up the reaction I would say it's been overwhelmingly
critical of stack overflow being closed source, which is an illogical
argument since Ubuntu LoCo's use twitter and facebook, both of which
are proprietary platforms.

The argument that having additional resources "would spread Ubuntu
thin" is just, well, also illogical. It's "Spread Ubuntu" not "Spread
Ubuntu this much [  ] then stop." The first tutorial I followed to
setup a HA cluster for VMware Server on Ubuntu was from How To Forge
as no such tutorial existed on Ubuntu's plethora of web sites. Without
that tutorial this user would still be using Windows or some other
distribution. The success of that third-party tutorial was Ubuntu's
success -- Ubuntu gained a new user, a new LoCo team member, and
(hopefully one day) an official representative.

Ubuntu in itself is convoluted to the new user. I had to register with
launchpad, register with the forums, setup PGP to sign a Code of
Conduct, etc. It didn't stop me nor would it stop anyone else that's
truly interested in joining a LoCo, and just because there are
additional resources on another web site doesn't mean Ubuntu users
cannot benefit from them, and it doesn't mean that existing Ubuntu
resources would suffer from it.

Also why is it a problem that web sites monetize traffic from
advertisements? I bet you all use Google, and not all projects have
backing from zillionaires like Mark Shuttleworth.

I truly don't see what all the fuss is about. The only complaint I
have is the method in which the message was delivered. I don't think
that the LoCo mailing lists are the most appropriate place to
advertise third party web sites. In fact I thought this was another
instance of spam getting through the system until I read it closely.

Kindest Regards,
Rich Gray (netritious)
#ubuntu-us-tn / http://ubuntu-tennessee.org