Ubuntu Saudi Arabia LoCo and IRC channel

Bilal Akhtar bilalakhtar96 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 14:10:46 BST 2010

There I come.

Hello and assalam alaikum everybody.

I am NOT the leader of the LoCo team to be exact. I manage the Launchpad
team (~ubuntu-sa) but Nayif is the leader of the so-called team.

Why am I calling the team 'so-called'? Because the team is *almost*
dead. The *dead* mailing list is hosted on google groups (I don't know
why Nayif chose that). I wished to change that once, and started the
Launchpad team, hoping to set up a lists.ubuntu.com mailing list soon.
Due to very little participation of the >150 google groups mailing lists
subscribers in the Launchpad team, I gave up my hope in reviving the
team.

I would be glad if someone transfers the IRC channel ownership to me
(nick: bilalakhtar). I am very much active on IRC and Launchpad (mainly
Ubuntu Development, bug fixing, merging and syncing). I already operate
channel #gnome-media-player on Freenode.

Summing up all of the above points, I want the following to happen now:

1) EVERYONE ACTIVE in the team should join the Launchpad team
( https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-sa ).

2) Once that is done, I will transfer the administration of the above
team to Nayif (Where are you?).

3) I also want to take over channel #ubuntu-sa and get ubot2 or ubot4 to
stay on it.

4) I also want a group of Arabic translators to translate every page I
write into Arabic. Language is a big problem for me, as I am a native
Urdu speaker and can write and speak English well, but not Arabic.
Google Translate is my friend.

5) Where is our Forums subdomain?

6) We should host events. So far, we *never* hosted any event.

7) I would remain the team contact, but the leader would be Nayif (if he
is still active) and if not, then I will take over that as well.

There. I hope that the above points solve the confusion among everyone
over here.

I will soon translate the Ubuntu Saudi LoCo team wiki page into English
as well (when I get the time, I m too busy in Ubuntu development).

Thank you for reading my mail.

Regards,
Bilal Akhtar.