Question on legalities

Jesper Jarlskov jesper at jarlskov.dk
Wed Jan 6 16:46:30 GMT 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 18:39 +0200, Neil Coetzer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get some input on whether or not our LoCo should be
> involved in the following sort of project:
>
> The most common query/complaint we receive from new Ubuntu users in
> Zimbabwe concerns the lack of proprietary codecs, particularly in
> light of the fact that a lot of people here have no Internet access at
> all and are therefore unable to install them later in the usual
> manner.
>
> To solve this problem, a script has been written with a graphical
> front-end, to install these codecs offline (packaged with a cache of
> the required packages).
>
> Our concerns are that since these codecs are not shipped with Ubuntu
> for reasons of the legalities involved, would it be acceptable for us
> to make the script and package cache available on our LoCo site or
> not? We would like to have this available on our LoCo Web site (mostly
> for team members to be able to download and then use later offline
> where necessary), but if the general feeling on this is that it
> wouldn't be "right", then I'll possibly place it on my company site
> instead.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Neil Coetzer
> Team Contact
> Ubuntu Zimbabwe LoCo Team
> http://www.ubuntu.org.zw
> http://zimbabwe.ubuntuforums.org
> http://www.ubuntu-zw.org
> http://www.karigon.net
> Thinking way outside the box

Hey Neil

My personal opinion is that this should be based on the legal factors
working in your area. As far as I know many of these codices are
excluded from the standard install, mainly because they are illegal in
the US. But in many other places they aren't illegal, and are therefore
made available through third parties.
If the codices are not illegal in your area, and you really believe that
they will be of value to your group, and the people you help, and
interact with, I personally think you should do it, since it would help
out both yourself in the work you do, the people you help, and the
general impact you can make. Do it. :-)

Jesper Jarlskov