Best Practices and Guidelines

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:31:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Paul, we are dealing with these issues while trying to kick-start
>> Washington LoCo into life again. It was originally registered by the
>> official Contact who lives in Olympia, the capital city. However, most
>> of the active members are in Seattle, a couple of hours away.
>>
>> Now, he's sort of rolled his work with OlyLUG into his LoCo work --
>> sort of leaving the rest of the state out. We Seattle folks want to
>> regain this state-wide focus, while having local fun in Seattle too.
>> It's a bit of a fine line to walk.
>
> Hi Valorie,
>
> I'm curious about the LoCo Council's opinion on what you should be
> doing, but I thought I'd offer my suggestion as someone who's been
> independently building a city group:  Keep going!
>
> Nothing should stop you from holding events Seattle and getting people
> there involved in Ubuntu.  Sure, it would be great if your LoCo
> contact was in the same town to help you out, but the fact that he's
> in a different city shouldn't hinder you at all.  You should have
> access to things like the wiki and the LoCo directory.  If you need
> access to other things like the website to help get the word out about
> events, you should ask for it.
>
> If he's actively impeding your activities, I'd definitely take that up
> with the council.  If he just doesn't have the time or resources,
> offer to help!
>
> I'd love to have more people in other cities take the lead in
> organizing themselves, holding events and volunteering their time for
> the regional LoCo.
>
> Darcy.

Thanks for the encouragement, Darcy. We are forging ahead in the
Seattle area, and trying to encourage activities around the state --
via IRC with us, if nothing else. So that's all cool.

It's possible that any difficulties will be smoothed out when we have
new leadership selection next month. We're going for a
triumvirate/small council rather than putting the entire burden on any
one person's shoulders. We're hoping for the best!

As for actively impeding -- it's more like the opposite. We just hear
nothing. So when I hear about this list, I signed up, and am trying to
get the word out of upcoming occasions to get together, such as the
Global Jam. Unfortunately, we're still a bit behind the 8-ball, but
hope to get caught up.

Is there anywhere with a long-range calendar of upcoming events? That
would help us out a LOT.

Valorie

--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .