No subject

Mon Aug 23 21:26:03 UTC 2010

has been said before)

The ubuntu-za LoCo is very distributed with pockets of people in
different centres doing events depending on who has energy to do
things. I think it is important for us all to be in one LoCo as the
energy sort of spills over to the other areas. Maybe there wasn't
going to be an event in Bloemfontein (just an example) but then when
people read about events elsewhere they organise one. We do have a sub
team in Stellenbosch but we tend to combine events between
Stellenbosch and Cape Town (35min drive away). I think the
Stellenbosch sub-team works well because there is a large student
community who need support with Ubuntu connection to the largely
closed source university network.

Many people are members of various Lugs and the LoCo. This has an
advantage because we piggy back on each other's events.

Now that sounds very rosy but it has it's problems. Active members in
say Stellenbosch or Cape Town can't really get other areas going.
Things only happen if there is an enthusiast in the area. From an
admin point of view, even if we can't kick start events elsewhere, I
try to make sure we know about all the other events so we can promote
centrally.

I haven't polled or anything but when the Stellenbosch sub-team was
made they considered being a LoCo on their own, and we sort of decided
not to do that. (I can look for the ML thread if will help), I think
the reason was that it would dilute energy and cause admin overhead.

Any guidance in this area will be appreciated.
Maia