Best Practices and Guidelines

Darcy Casselman dscassel+ubuntu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 03:55:34 UTC 2010

I think Randall's right about one thing: most of the important stuff
that Jono talks about in terms of what LoCos are supposed to
do--meeting face to face, working together, celebrating--only make
sense at the city level.

But there's a bunch of administrative overhead to running a LoCo team
in the proscribed fashion: maintaining websites and mailing lists,
submitting reports and having online meetings.  It would be nice to
spread that around.

My *plan* for Ubuntu Canada (and we're only just getting started) is
to follow Randall's model for Vancouver, essentially.  Put the
emphasis on chapters in cities and towns.  While it's kind of
ridiculous to have one team for all of Canada, there are barely enough
people involved right now to handle the administrative overhead for
one LoCo team.  So having more than one doesn't make any sense either.

So the separation of concerns looks something like this:

The city chapter is responsible for getting people involved, running
cool events and having fun promoting Ubuntu.
The national LoCo is responsible for reporting to the council,
publicizing what the chapters are doing and maintaining an online
presence.  And encourage the creation of new chapters as much as
possible.

And while I say there's a separation, there really isn't.  I'm hoping
that eventually all the national LoCo is is just a bunch of people
from the different chapters who get together on an IRC channel
occasionally to manage those responsibilities.

Make sense?

Darcy.
Kitchener-Waterloo Chapter of Ubuntu Canada.