Ideological differences when representing Ubuntu in events.

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 04:54:07 BST 2010

Ubuntu-MA is home of the Free Software Foundation's HQ. We get on fairly
well with the FSF on a personal level, though they have levelled
criticism at us about Ubuntu containing non-free, I have in tern
criticised the FSF in Boston of taking no positive action in the local
community, they are far too concerned with gradios world politics to get
down and dirty with installing and supporting Free Desktop machines.

It's an interesting relationship, but I think we all understand where
each of us is coming from. Ubuntu seeks to increase awareness and use of
Free Software by providing products that work, so long as we never
forget to mention the ideals, philosophies and principles of the Free
and Open Source ethos that gives us the great fortune of being able to
make computers work better, then I think we have no real conflict.

Consider this flyer:

http://doctormo.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-AnimeBos-Flyer-Front-156027211

An entire 1/6th of the flyer is dedicated to explaining FOSS in a
friendly way and it's certainly not trying to make light of the
importance of freedom. This weekend I think people appreciated a helping
hand explaining what it all means in clearer language as well as lots of
practical tips.

But would the FSF appreciate that balance? Depends on the person from
the FSF I think.

Regards, Martin Owens