Ideological differences when representing Ubuntu in events.

Efrain Valles effie-jayx at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 4 23:05:55 BST 2010

I would like to salute everyone out there representing Ubuntu in
events around the globe. With this email, The Venezuelan Team seeks a
bit of council with regards the things we go through when we decide to
go out and promote Ubuntu in our country. We seek to share experiences
and possible solutions that you around the globe may have found when
facing similar situations.

Since its beginnings, Ubuntu-ve has participated in the National
Congress of Free Software and many other events where we share with
sister projects of distributions and lugs. In recent years, the
Ubuntu-ve has been put in situations where we participate in events
and there is always a speaker or organizer of the event questioning
Ubuntu's commitment with software freedom. This is something that we
all know could lead to endless unfruitful conversations about ethics
and other aspects. It is a good thing that over the years Ubuntu as a
project has proved its solid commitment to Software Freedom and
Ubuntu-ve has tried hard to convey that in our Local participation.

This year, The National Summit of Free Software considered leaving out
Ubuntu all together based on the differences between GNU project in
Venezuela and their opinion on Ubuntu as Free Software.

My worry lies with members that are joining the team and they see
themselves being pointed at and receiving all this negative 5 year-old
FUD statements that really wear out the spirit in some of the younger
members of the team in really remote areas.

I am sure Ubuntu-ve is not alone in this situation and I would
definitely love to read you experiences with this issue. The
Venezuelan Team would be very energized to read yoru thoughts.

Warm hugs from Venezuela

--
Efrain Valles
Ubuntu LoCo Council Member