ShipIt Changes

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:15:38 BST 2009

Hello Mike, Jane via Jono,

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 15:58 -0500, Michael Lustfield wrote:
> Canonical is the company that owns Ubuntu and funds all Ubuntu
> operations (we all know this).

Er, perhaps it's because I have an economists vision of 'funds' but a
volunteers time is funding, contributions from LoCos is funding by time.
Oh how I wish Canonical would fund marketing budgets, but that's really
for us in the Ubuntu community to fund with our time.

The CDs are very handy, especially for shows. Since our group has moved
to using PXE for installations, we've reduced the number of CDs given
out over time, but we still need them.

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 18:03 +0200, Jane Silber wrote:
> We hope that you support this effort and realise
> that the intent is to continue to make Ubuntu available on CD to
> everyone who needs it.

Something to throw out there. Something Cory Doctorow was saying about funding his books for libraries.

If people request a shipment of CDs, I wonder if there would be a way to get the community to fund some of it. Would it be terrible to have a more economic partnership between different groups who may want to take advantage of shipit CDs? Then one kind person could just buy the CDs for someone else's request.

One down side I guess is that you might have commercial exploitation, people selling CDs that they've bought from shipit.

Martin,