ShipIt Changes

Rubén Romero y Cordero huayra at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 21 18:14:51 BST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> [...]

  We will continue to supply CDs to LoCo teams and Ubuntu members. And
>    we hope to make CDs available to everyone who is just discovering
>    Ubuntu. And we continue to search for additional ways to make Ubuntu
>    and Ubuntu materials available to everyone. But we are limiting
>    shipments to people that we think have alternative paths of getting
>    Ubuntu. For instance,
>
>    * you can upgrade to the new release without a CD
>    (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)
>    * you can download your own CD for free
>    (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)
>    * you will be able to download the CD wallet artwork
>    (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing/#CD%20Distribution%20Materials)
>    * becoming an Ubuntu member
>    (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newmember) by
>    contributing to Ubuntu, and thereby becoming eligible for more CDs
>    * And finally, you can purchase CDs (http://shop.canonical.com/)

I believe this is a very good thing and it's building a guarantee of
viability for Ubuntu and Canonical.

What i see here is an opportunity for LoCo teams to organize better and
create channels of CD distribution locally within the country/state. We need
better coordination of what is done with those CDs and have mechanisms to
check the efficiency of the CD distribution.

For example:

* In Ecuador we had 12 CD distribution points back in 2008. This worked
either by internal distribution (sending all CDs to all locations from the
central contact point that received the Cds) og by asking for CDs on shipit
on behalf of the Ecuador team. At a discussion locally many people
highlighted the fact that many CDs where never actually put to use and
proposed that we should sell them for $1 so only interested people would go
for them. Of course we never did this, but the proponents of this had a
point.

* In Norway lots of CD's where handed to lots of people and groups (LUGs,
LoCo team, enthusiastic individuals) but many of them where never used
propertly because of lack of coordination. Since 2007 I know we have been
better at that and now we are way more systematic in our approach of CD
distribution (for the most at events).

Maybe other local communities can share their experiences?

>    We will change the language on the ShipIt site to make it clearer
>    what we are doing. We hope that you support this effort and realise
>    that the intent is to continue to make Ubuntu available on CD to
>    everyone who needs it.

We should explore which possibilities we can actually get out of this move,
not just raise eyebrows on the evident limitations this will pose for many
ubuntu users and complain.

I can imagine using Launchpad as backend for authentication for LoCo teams
(the Directory) asking for CDs on Ship-It. Team organization could also be
helpful to create distribution points by having accountability on someone or
a group of people locally.

>    Jane Silber, Canonical
>

> I hope this makes things clear. :-)
>
> Pretty much! :)