ShipIt Changes

Siegfried-A. Gevatter siggi.gevatter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:14:10 BST 2009

2009/10/21 John Abbott <fewcluesagmail.com>:
> I have been a beta tester for Ubuntu for six years.  I have generated almost
> 100 error reports.  I have manually copied and distributed over 300 Ubuntu
> CD's.  I operate a Google Group dedicated to Ubuntu.  I teach Ubuntu for
> Beginners once a week and have for six years.  And yet I cannot establish a
> LoCo (although my group is in over 30 in number) and I don't qualify for
> Ubuntu Membership.

If that's true I believe you do qualify for membership. Have you tried applying?

> Since it appears that Cononical is out of the free CD business

What they've said is not that they will stop sending free CDs, but
that they will try to concentrate this effort sending them to those
who really need them; that sounds quite reasonable to me. Also,
Canonical has no obligation at all to give us CDs for free, IMHO we
should be grateful that they have been doing so.

> I believe I am also.

It's your decision, but it's really sad if choose to stop contributing
(if that's what you mean - I'm not sure I fully understand your last
sentence) to a project only based on the associated company's decision
possibly not to give you free CDs anymore. If you allow me to say so,
I'd suggest you take some time to think about the situation and decide
your future involvement taking into account more than just the
availability of free CDs.

Regards,

Free Software Developer       363DEAE3