ShipIt Changes

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 21 17:46:16 BST 2009

Jono Bacon wrote:
<SNIP>
>     * you can upgrade to the new release without a CD
>     (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)

Entirely agree with, there should be a greater focus on upgrading rather
than fresh installs.
>     * you can download your own CD for free
>     (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

This is how most geeks get Ubuntu in my opinion.  However, I'm not sure
the average non-geek is comfortable with this process.  I don't believe
the process is made clear enough on the second download page [0].  The
link to the wiki burning guide doesn't have enough emphasis.
>     * you will be able to download the CD wallet artwork
>     (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing/#CD%20Distribution%20Materials)

Sure, but my main reason for having official CD's is the professional
image it conveys when offering them to a stranger.  Having a homebrew
CDR with (or without) artwork doesn't cut the mustard for
professionalism IMO.
>     * becoming an Ubuntu member
>     (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newmember) by
>     contributing to Ubuntu, and thereby becoming eligible for more CDs

I'm not sure I agree that Ubuntu Members are those that need the CD's
most.  I would hope they would already know how to burn an ISO.  I
appreciate this might be marked as a "reward" for membership, but is it
really the best use of CD's?
>     * And finally, you can purchase CDs (http://shop.canonical.com/)

I bet this is/and will be very underutilised.
>     We will change the language on the ShipIt site to make it clearer
>     what we are doing. We hope that you support this effort and realise
>     that the intent is to continue to make Ubuntu available on CD to
>     everyone who needs it.
>
>     Jane Silber, Canonical
<SNIP>

Whilst I appreciate the ShipIt programme is not sustainable in it's current form - the quote of "continue to make Ubuntu available on CD to everyone who needs it." leaves the question unanswered of those without broadband access or prior installations of Ubuntu to upgrade from.  There is little doubt that this is essentially stopping the programme  pretty much altogether.  Would it not have been prudent to maintain the current process, but have a hard limit on available CD's per release and trial having a message during the shipit process asking people to only request if they really "need" them.

[0] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloading

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker