Forwarding From loco-contacts to Team Email Lists

Jesper Jarlskov jesper at jarlskov.dk
Fri Oct 2 09:16:59 BST 2009

Michael Lustfield wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 21:58:51 -0700
> Grant Bowman <grantbow at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

>> It has been brought to my attention that the written guidelines for
>> acting as a loco-contact are a bit vague.  LoCo wiki pages [1] say you
>> need to be subscribed to the loco-contacts list and act as a point of
>> contact however they do not say anything about forwarding select
>> emails to LoCo mail lists, either unmodified or in a rewritten form
>> which requires significantly more volunteer time.
>>
>> As I have been reprimanded by our official loco-contact for forwarding
>> items from this list to our local list I am hoping this can be
>> clarified and documented for myself and others.
>>
>> In my mind, not forwarding relevant information that LoCo Team members
>> might find useful is more harmful than too much email.  Points of
>> contact should act in both directions.  It seems obvious to me that
>> forwarding select emails is very much in keeping with the spirit of
>> acting as a point of contact but I acknowledge that this is not
>> currently within the letter of the published guidelines.  It has even
>> been suggested that forwarding emails such as Jono's "Getting key
>> languages over the 80% translated level" is specifically not an
>> approved practice and even goes "against local team policy" though I
>> know that this "policy" is not written anywhere.  I welcome others to
>> share their best practices in this area and help clarify the written
>> LoCo documentation.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Grant Bowman
>> Ubuntu Member
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam
>>

>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto
>>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamContact
>>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamRunning
>>

> That sounds rather disturbing. There's nothing in this list that
> shouldn't be accepted into any other LoCo list unless it shouldn't be
> in this list either.
>
> - - --
> Michael Lustfield
> Kalliki Software
>
> Network and Systems Administrator
> - --
> Michael Lustfield
> Kalliki Software
>
> Network and Systems Administrator

I also see it as a normal part of my everyday job as a LoCo contact, to
keep up on what's going on in the world of Ubuntu communities, and
report it back to my own LoCo, either forwarded as-is (maybe with a
short note of what it is) or translated to danish and a way I would
explain it. In that case I'd normally put a link to the original post
from this list.
The people preceding me as LoCo contacts have acted pretty much in the
same way, and I only feel it natural.
But I guess it's different for each person how he'd like to carry out
the job, I don't believe there's a right and wrong way to do it.

Jesper Jarlskov