Freenode

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sun Mar 29 04:17:03 BST 2009

Op zaterdag 28-03-2009 om 18:55 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Craig
Huffstetler:
> I also donated via PayPal, but that was today. I do know PayPal
> accepts most major forms of payment including the above referenced
> form and bank transfers (EFTs).

I don't really want to be a PayPal client (they stole more than 100 euro
from someone I know--and if you look around the internet, he wasn't
their only victim).

Not being a PayPal client also means that I can't pay through them
(unless I have a credit card, which of course doesn't solve the issue).

> I, however, can not comment on
> Canonical's payment system, unfortunately, because I have not used it.

I tried to use it, and I investigated the problem, and I mailed the shop
with what I found out.

What the "Maestro" logo on their site really means is that their payment
processor accepts Maestro cards issued in the UK.  But considering that
"Maestro" is a worldwide standard for debet cards, this is a practice
that (at least in Belgium) would be considered an (illegal) "deceptive
commercial practice".

Of course it's not really clear who's at fault here (Canonical or their
payment processor), but I would have appreciated an answer, at least...

--
Jan Claeys