loco-contacts Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:11:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> Op woensdag 11-03-2009 om 11:28 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Simón
> Ruiz:
>> Re: a common language: It's not that the particular language is
>> somehow better, or that the other one is bad, or that we're ignorant,
>> elitist monoglots, or anything like that; it is simple more useful to
>> have one language per list.
>
> Actually, the ubuntu-be list allows 4 languages and at least 3 of them
> are used from time to time.
>
> Belgium has 3 official languages (Dutch, French, German) and we use
> English as some sort of "lingua franca".  I haven't seen any discussions
> in German yet (the German-speaking community being a really small
> minority), but the other 3 languages *are* used on our mailing list.

That's a good point.

I painted a broad generalization, so it's not surprising that a great
counter-example was brought up.

I suppose I would refine that to "it is simply more useful to adhere
to a list's language policy or culture."

My main point was basically: "Asking people to stop using the[/a]
primary language of the list you just subscribed to is neither useful
nor polite."

> I guess we Belgians are elitist polyglots then...   ;-)

*lol* Hey, at least you're not ignorant. ;-)

> --
> Jan Claeys

Simón