Government Service Initatives

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Thu Jun 25 01:32:33 BST 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 06/23/2009 08:11 AM, Martin Owens wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I was curious about a plea(1) recently to get more people doing
> > community service in the USA:
> >
> > So I went ahead and checked out the website(2), and they seem to have
> > some fair good ideas and some tools that it might be worth either
> > emulating, learning(3) about or using (depending on where you are).
> >
> > I've created a group for my LoCo to test things and get a feel for what
> > they're doing and if we can attract service orientated people who might
> > not be necessaryly technically inclined (by may wish to become so).
> >
> > 1. Plea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZaBHgj6jYE
> > 2. Website: http://www.serve.gov/
> > 3. Ideas: http://www.serve.gov/toolkits/general/index.asp
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> Sounds interesting. Other US teams checked into this?
>
>     Jono

 The Obamas didn't invent Community Organizing nor Social Networks but they
sure know how.

http://www.nfg.org/cotb/
http://www.vcn.bc.ca/citizens-handbook/

As a Virginian I took special interest in this article -
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/VITA24_20090623-222806/275930/

And I sure could use a plan to inspire ubuntu-us-va.

Jim

--
http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net