Did anyone else get a subscription from....

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Mon Jun 22 13:12:49 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Myriam
Schweingruber<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:
> Hi Jamie,
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 02:41, Jamie Lavigne <njlavigne at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> This is in response to the thread here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2009-June/003223.html . I discovered this thread by googling my own domain and joined in order to offer a response.
>>
>> I suppose first I should provide an answer to the #1 question: No, I am not a spammer.  All of the incoming mail is routed through Postini and I'm using reCAPTCHA extensively to block email address harvesting from the site.  This is a project that's been in the works for a while now and over the last couple of weeks the details have been settling down (some have noticed that the subscription address has changed from the original one) and as of today it's publicly viewable.  This link might be particularly amusing: http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/I9O5CeqRI4D3hghJJfGQ (may need to wait for the DNS record to update)
>
> Well, what do you expect? You could at least have warned that you are
> about to start a project. Sorry, but somebody who subscribes with a
> more than curious mail address to *all* ubuntu lists without warning,
> having no information whatsoever about either you or your project is
> extremely suspicious.
>
> Also, no need to subscribe to the mailing lists, all archives are
> publicly available, you could simply have extracted the mails from
> there, why do you have to subscribe in the first place? Almost all
> mail archive copy providers available on the net already offer this
> service for non subscribers by simply extracting the archives, so it
> is highly redundant
>
> Sorry, this is beyond my understanding.
>

> Regards, Myriam

Original content is expensive, many web entrepreneurs try to make it
off of freely available content and profit by the advertising model.

RDF and REST should make this sort of approach obsolete. I still miss
Deja News. Somethings disappear forever; others naggingly won't die.

I manage mailing lists for a few dozen clients and all of them
moderate. A nasty burden.

I am amazed the Ubuntu Wikis haven't been savaged. Good karma?

Everything comes to an end.

Jim

--
http://ls.net