Spam by subscription to list

vid vid at svaksha.com
Sat Jun 6 15:55:09 BST 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 12:01, Michael Lustfield<mtecknology at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> This seems to be a pretty hot topic. I'd like to make note of what I
> did to stop spam on my list.
>
> First is of course that only members can post to the list. I did my
> best to review where legitimate email comes from. I realized that it's
> very very seldom among any list that non-members ever try to post to a
> list without it being spam.

I concur. UW-list follows the same policy and it drastically reduced
the time admins spent on rejecting spam posts.

> Second is that some spammers to join lists in order to spam. To avoid
> this, in /privacy/sender:
> default_member_moderation: Yes
> member_moderation_action: Hold

We dont follow this policy as by default goodwill is assumed, even for
new first time posters :)

> To help open the constraint a little bit, I've also added this
> in /privacy/sender:
> accept_these_nonmembers:
>  ^.*\@canonical\.com$
>  ^.*\@ubuntu\.com$

How do you handle those who use gmail, yahoo or other id's.

--
thanks
|| vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||