Sarcasm and making fun of other projects in loco team lists

Fabian Rodriguez magicfab at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 20 20:25:47 GMT 2009

(top posting to my original message)

Hi all,

The end result of the out-of-topic and troll messages we were having in
the ubuntu-co mailing list can be summarized as follows:

 - We had a few big threads about trolling and netiquette and witnessed
a few valuable members leave by themselves
 - The initiator of this was kicked out of the list, as this was not his
first time doing that and he replied to a public reminder with insults
and more hate mail.
 - There was an online meeting among admins, and we took the opportunity
to welcome a Spanish translation [1] of the Ubuntu lists etiquete [0]
and integrated that to our mailing list subscription process [2] - yes,
sadly we now have a process that is formal about "being nice".
 - We informed the list of our decisions
 - The list was (and still is) in moderation mode, including new
subcriptions. This has given some time to accept only relevant messages,
OT messages have been a minimum since then.

Emailing everyone privately wasn't an option, as a volunteer I couldn't
send email to the 50+ people that were replying and escalating the tone
in every email. However several public reminders were sent, which in
turn also resulted in other similar hate mail.

This was a repeating problem (within this list's context) and as
expected it generated a *lot* of noise.

As a member of the FSF I love to have a field day with all things
Microsoft, but I tend to agree more with Aaron's point of view than
Jan's. I appreciate you passion, Jan, and I somewhate share it, but I
get better results without any f words. Your mileage may vary.

To Jonathan, I never said all our community was like this, please read
again carefully - I guess the current context of other events may have
implied that. In fact I find it's quite the contrary, which also means
when it happens, it's more visible (IMO).

Thanks for everyone's help and comments about this, I learned a few
things in the process.

Cheers,

Fabian

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColombianTeam/Etiqueta_Lista_Correos