I have a dream...

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 12 23:24:55 GMT 2009

...a dream in which we can show an accurate map with every LoCo Team in
the world displayed on it.

Some time ago Melissa worked on a map that showed which countries in the
world had a LoCo Team. As an example, if you looked at Europe, Germany
was filled in to indicate that region has a LoCo Team. The map was a
stunning indication of the spread of LoCo Teams around the world.

This is my dream:

    * We have a map that anyone can visit that identifies which
      countries have teams and shades the entire country/state/region to
      indicate the team.
    * We can also show which cities have teams with a pin pushed in that
      city.
    * You can hover over a country/state/city and a little box will pop
      up to indicate the details for that team.

Now, Google Maps can do most of this: it can allow people to enter push
pins into a map and have a little box that pops up to indicate details
about that location. This would be great for the city teams, but as far
as I am aware it is not possible to shade an entire region or country to
indicate coverage of a team.

So, does anyone know of a way in which we could achieve all of the above
bits of the dream, and has anyone done any work on this?

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager