Considerations about official localized editions of Live CDs

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 21 13:47:54 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:

> Op vrijdag 18-12-2009 om 16:46 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Christophe
> Sauthier:
> > Actually the French LoCo is already doing its own CD for each release
> > with language support (amongst other stuffs).
>
> I made an .iso with primarily Dutch language support (but also options
> for English, French & German) for the 8.04 LTS release parties in
> Flanders & The Netherlands (I don't remember how many CDs were pressed
> from that).
>
> > So we might give our
> > 'recipe' for the iso creation...
>
> That would be cool of course!
>

> BTW, also: how does ubuntu-fr finance pressing CDs?  (if you still do)

We press 3000 CD to have a low price (something like 0.5 € / CD with a
simple printed cover) and we sell them to the public (1 €). That helps to
explain the difference betweekn "free as a beer and free as in speech". Of
course, we always have some bad remarks, but trying to explain this is
always good.

We also sell them to French LUG at cost price, which enable them to have
Ubuntu CD with nice cover for less that burning them themselves.

Our only goal is to not lost money on CD, what we can more or less achieve
(true nowdays).

Didier