Connecting users to LoCo's via IRC

Jorge O. Castro jorge at
Wed Aug 5 12:18:33 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Jonathan Carter
(highvoltage)<jonathan at> wrote:
> I'd be very much in favour of that. How would you implement it though,
> and would it be possible to only have it implemented for LoCo's that
> provides IRC support for their region?

I've been mulling ways on implementing this. Someone kindly reminded
me to consider the ramifications of this to the IRC team, etc. so I
think proposing to autospawn channels for every country code would get
me killed.

I was thinking of something along the lines of what Chuck recommends,
but instead of #ubuntu-welcome maybe we should just make it clearer
when someone joins #ubuntu that "by the way, check out your friendly
neighborhood local team" and a link to the loco directory or something
like that?

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

Jorge Castro
jorge (at)
External Project Developer Relations
Canonical Ltd.