Ubuntu Gaming Team

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 24 14:08:08 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:02, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

> Top posting fixed.  Ugh.
> > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:40, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> First, apologies for the off topic cross-posting to many lists, but it
> >> was
> >> really hard for me to tell which one to drop.

> >> team
> >> improving
> >> barrier

> >> growth
> >> promote
> >> are
> >>
> >> I appreciate the enthusiasm, but with your choice of names is going to
> >> cause problems.  First, while an effort like you are describing might
> >> benefit Ubuntu, it is not about doing anything within Ubuntu (the
> >> distro),
> >> it seems to be about trying to leverage the Ubuntu community towards a
> >> goal.
> >>
> >> As it happens, Ubuntu (the distro) already has a team that works with
> >> Debian on packaging FOSS games for Debian and Ubuntu.  This team is the
> >> Debian Games team.  Based on the first reply to your message, you've
> >> already created a point of confusion.  Ubuntu (the distro) doesn't need
> >> team to cooperate with the Debian games team as it is already a joint
> >> Debian/Ubuntu team (this isn't the only case of this - another example
> >> is
> >> the pkg-clamav team that works on packaging clamav and related
> >> packages).
> >>
> >> I would encourage you to reconsider your choice of names and select one
> >> that isn't going to cause confusion.

> >> of
> >> Gamers,
> >> large
> >> like
> >> placed
> >> the

> >> reused
> >> The
> >> support
> >> >
> http://pinstack.blogspot.com/2009/04/announcing-ubuntu-gaming-team.html
> >>
> >> I think you are using the name Ubuntu here is a way that is really
> >> confusing.  This isn't about Ubuntu gaming, it's about FOSS game
> >> development.

> >> https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gaming<https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-gaming>
> <https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-gaming>
> >> http://java.freenode.net//index.php?channel=ubuntu-gaming>

> >> Finally, you sent this to an Ubuntu development list.  This list is to
> >> discuss development of Ubuntu.  Your announcement seems to be at most
> >> about development ON Ubuntu, not development OF Ubuntu.  I think it's
> >> off
> >> topic.
> >>
> >> I would encourage you to consider your goal and brand your team more
> >> appropriately to that goal.
>
> > Could a solution be to simply link to Debian/Ubuntu games team for
> > packaging? It may have caused a tiny bit of confusion with the
> > announcement,
> [...]

Alright, i'll bottom-post for you =]

It's already a problem? Really? The problem i think you're trying to say is
simply confusing the packaging team with this team. Firstly, i don't see how
people would be so confused. If a person is looking for the packaging team,
i am sure they will find it. If i add a link from the gaming team page to
the packaging team, i am in no way saying that their team works under ours.
If anything, it could direct more people to the packaging team who otherwise
would never have found it. What chaos will arise from keeping the name,
"Ubuntu Gaming Team"?