Sale of codecs

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 07:59:53 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Neil Coetzer <nit006.5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have just had a rather embarrassing situation arise over the announcement
> of proprietary codecs being for sale. We have just submitted an article
> (which we do monthly) to a local newsletter published by the Computer
> Society of Zimbabwe, and along with our article bragging about the Ubuntu
> promise of always being free, they also published a link to this article:
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20762/1090/
>
> which claims that Ubuntu has become commercial and is no longer free based
> on this codec issue. I have so far been unable to find out for sure, whether
> or not the free download of codecs is still available? I would assume so,
> but can anyone confirm this before I start complaining to the people who
> mass-mailed that link? I would appreciate it if anyone can shed any light on
> what is actually happening and what the implications are.
>
> Urgent feedback would be appreciated so that I can jump on the Computer
> Society of Zimbabwe and ask them to retract that publicly if necessary.

To put none to fine a point on it, Sam Varghese is a garbage
journalist (He may be a perfectly wonderful person, but his
jounrnalism is terrible).  I would ignore what he says.

Medibuntu is not going away (afaik) nor are the free codecs in
multiverse. I honestly have no idea if we are planning to go the
Fedora route and only sell codecs, but I seriously doubt it.

Corey