ubuntu and ubuntu logo, trademarks and uses

Neil Coetzer nit006.5 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:52:32 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 06:03 +0200, Savvas wrote:
> Hello, I'm one of the founders/team contacts of the Cypriot LoCo team:
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/CypriotTeam
> Since trademarks@ email haven't replied yet, does anyone know if it's
> possible to use "Ubuntu" and the Ubuntu logo in the
> following:
> 1) to use it in any apparel we could sell to raise funds
> 2) to use it in our artworks (loco-related always)

Provided that the logo is being used to promote Ubuntu, it shouldn't be
a problem.

> 3) to use it in our logo for the local community team

Using the existing logo shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't
change the logo itself. For instance, we had the circle of friends logo
reshaped to fit the map of our country but this was rejected. I was told
that provided the logo was unchanged, it was allowed. So you could place
it on top of your map, or country flag or something like that.

> 4) to create a non-profit organisation named "Ubuntu cypriot local
> community" or "ubuntu cy" or something similar.
> (We could get a lot of discounts concerning purchases as a registered
> non-profit organization)

I'm not sure about this as we haven't attempted it yet.

> 5) with (4), to register and get a domain, say "ubuntu.org.cy"

As far as I know, they will allow you to register one domain to be used
for the promotion of Ubuntu. We were allowed to register ubuntu.org.zw.

> 6) should we have a message of some sort while using the logo or "ubuntu"?
>
> Thanks in advance!

For all these things however, I don't think it would be wise to go
further until you have the official go-ahead from the trademark people.
It does take them a while to reply, but you'll just have to be patient.