Ubuntu for Libraries

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 23:04:53 GMT 2008

This may not be the sort of thing you're interested in, but I figure
it's worth mentioning.

For our school library, the librarian just wanted a kiosk that allowed
access to the library catalog (before, kids would have to find an open
computer, sit down, log in, bring up firefox, browse through the
links...).

The catalog is available through a web interface, so I set up Ubuntu
to auto-login to OpenBox, and run Firefox pointing at the card
catalog.

I did not give Firefox our proxy information so they can't surf
outside the school network.

I installed the "Full Fullscreen" (I *think* that's what it's called)
Firefox plugin, and start the session in fullscreen so there are no
Firefox UI elements visible.

I told the librarian to press the power button to turn it on and the
power button to turn it off, no other instructions were necessary. (If
there *is* a problem, I said, just turn it off and back on. If the
problem persists, call me. So far only one call, and it was a hardware
failure; this was a computer we were about to toss.)

She was so happy with it we had to set another couple up for the
middle school and high school libraries.

Simón Ruiz
Canterbury School
Fort Wayne, IN